Sunday, June 21, 2009

It's Father's Day..


It's Father's Day and my Step-Dad lives a few hours away. I always struggle with what to get for our father's on this day. I'm not to good at buying for these important men in our lives. I know that with my step-dad he doesn't ever ask for much. Really nothing at all. He's really into sentimental things though..given from our heart. Thank goodness, that's pretty easy. ;) The kids did the work this year. Since my step-dad is a photographer and does live a few hours away and we weren't able to see him today the kids painted a big picture that read, "HAPPY FATHER'S DAY, PAWPAW!" They held it and we took their picture and emailed it to him. I am betting this gets framed. :)

Now would be the time to say, I am so thankful for Jerry. He has been through so much with everything that has gone on with my mom,the cancer and the treatments she has endured this year. He has taken care of her, taken her to appointments, learned more about this disease and tried so hard to do everything he can to make this a little easier for her. I am so grateful to him. It's rough to live a few hours away while your mom is battling an awful disease.But knowing she is being taken care of by him - that gives me peace. I've seen him cry and I've seen him try to understand why and my heart breaks for him. I see how very much he loves my mom and how very much he wants her to be well.
I didn't know if my mom would ever find someone so amazing after my dad died. My dad died, from cancer, when I was 10. My mom was 32. My age. She had 3 kids, 1 step-son and had to bury her husband. I can't imagine. She is strong. She is amazing, and now she has an amazing husband to share the rest of her life with who truly loves her for all that she is. We are all blessed Jerry came into our lives...and I am truly grateful for his love for my mom, for my sisters and myself, and for our children. We couldn't have asked for a more wonderful step-dad and PawPaw. Thank you, Jerry for loving all of us. We love you and are so thankful you came into all of our lives and we thank God for you everyday. I know my Dad is in Heaven looking down, proudly. I feel it. I know that he wanted my Mom to find happiness and I think he had a hand in giving us Jerry. I see him everyday in my children's smile, when I see their dimples. The same dimple he had. I know he is here in my heart living forever. I miss him everyday and I am truly grateful to have had him even if it was only 10 short years.
How wonderful is it that my Mom found love twice in this lifetime by two amazing men? I think she's blessed....we all are. :)

2 comments:

  1. Happy Father's Day PawPaw! That takes an amazing man to go through all that!

    ReplyDelete