Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Oh, the Swine Flu...


We went to The Dallas Science and Nature Museum about a week ago and now since I am officially a blogger I can tell you all about it! Oh, lucky you! :) Our kids are really into science. I am glad about that, because I really never was as a kid but as an adult I will say, I find it rather interesting! Anyway, when we arrived, we were in line to park and as we pulled up the man running the whole parking thing said, "Are you here for Cinco De Mayo?" Leon was like, "UH, No." And he said, "oh, sorry.." and then told us where to park. I instantly thought it was funny, because let's face it, if I was driving I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have been asked that. Anyway, we found out they were having a Cinco De May celebration in the same area. OK so anyone who has been in public whatsoever, knows that the SWINE FLU is pretty much talked about all the time, so Aidan instantly pipes in with, "uh, oh, there are alot of Mexicans around here and one of the teachers at my school said the Mexicans are bringing the swine flu to Texas." Wow..that was a powerful statement from that teacher, I thought. And she might wanna watch out what she is saying. Anyway, on to the museum. Just days before this, Aidan told me not to kiss Leon because he didn't want me to get the Swine Flu, because his Daddy is Mexican and he might have it. I explained to Aidan that his Dad has never been to Mexico. Then he asked me about Grandpa and Grandma. Again, I explained to him that they were not from Mexico either. The boy is consumed with the Swine Flu! We're not going to let the Swine Flu ruin our day, we explained to Aidan. He asked for germy gel, just in case. We get to the museum and saw so many neat things. We dug for dinosaur bones, made huge bubbles, learned about vomit and mucus and pretty much everything gross that the human body is capable of producing. Fun, I tell ya! While digging for dinosaur bones, two sweet and really cute little Mexican-American girls came in to dig, too. Aidan saw them and stopped what he was doing and pushed himself against the wall and slid away as fast as he could. I was puzzled and wondering what he was doing..then I look to his father who is laughing uncontrollably. He said, "Aidan is trying not to catch the Swine Flu." I turned soooooo red. I was embarrassed but really trying not to laugh. Leon and Makayla were not doing a good job of holding it in. One of us had to be mature. And it fell on me. Hard to believe, I know. I looked at Leon and said, "It's time to go." I was terrified I was about to get my rear kicked! Leon and I have completely failed as parents of an interracial child...I'm convinced.




3 comments: